It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

Unpopular opinion: Halloween is my favorite holiday

I don't hate Christmas. I just love Halloween. Technically, I suppose I just like the idea of Halloween. (Much like yoga, or kale smoothies- which also sound good in my head) 
Although, I like the idea of most things in the fall. Fall is my most inspired time of the year. Everything is dying, but I am thriving. There are just so many things about Halloween that intrigue me.
I like the idea of etching faces onto a big orange squash. (or are pumpkins in the melon family?...hold please...that was silly. Of course, it's a squash. Forget I said anything.)
I like how it's usually a little too chilly to be outside at night in late October (at least in New England), but for one night people just forget about what's comfortable. 
I find it fascinating that the "spookiest" day of the year- the day most associated with murder and gore- is also the one day we expect people to be on our property, knocking on our doors. 
I like the fact that we all have this shared experience of the "Halloween mid-life crisis." It's that terrible, painfully awkward time of your life when you're suddenly too old to go trick-or-treating but you're still too young to go to Halloween parties...or at least any that are halfway decent. 
I will admit though, I don't usually find myself jumping with joy every time I'm presented with a fall wreath or a juicy new glowstick. Like I said, I just enjoy thinking about these concepts. In my head, Halloween is a thrilling adventure but in practice, it's cold, sticky, and itchy. Sure, Christmas is more consistent. It never really lets you down- but where's the excitement in that? I like a holiday that keeps me on my toes. Will this be the year I suddenly enjoy the local corn maze and the dozens of unleashed children that come with it? Am I finally going to remember to plan out an actual costume that doesn't involve cat ears and eyeliner whickers? WHO KNOWS?! Certainly not I. 

Popular Posts