Look Mom, I Made a Snapchat Lens

After a solid month of procrastinating, in an attempt to shelter my ego from the inevitable low blow, I finally started my first original Snapchat Lens. To be honest, I've had the Lens Studio application downloaded onto my desktop for several weeks already. I had a random burst of energy and caffeine-induced confidence so I made the first crucial step towards becoming a lens creator. It was a one-step system though because a medium iced coffee can only get you so far, and my journey ended there at the download button. 
          Today I swallowed my pride and actually made HUGE progress. I downloaded the necessary templates for a "face paint" style lens and started sketching in Photoshop. Snapchat's Lens Studio website had a step-by-step guide for everything and they made it easy to switch between the different tutorials without having to leave a trail of digital breadcrumbs. Within about two and a half hours I had something resembling a lens and I was ready to see how my work would look in an interactive context. I previewed my first swing at this intimidating new application, and I was so amused by the results. I had plenty of adjustments to make in order to get my lens the way I wanted, but this preview really sparked some excitement in me to keep working. 
          I cranked out a few more drafts and eventually, a usable, accessible piece of content that I can share with the world. I am sufficiently pleased with the end result and I am excited to create more. I have an interest in applying to be an Official Lens Creator for Snapchat once I build a more extensive portfolio of approved lenses. As for now, here is my first Lens creation. Be sure to save it for the scrapbook. And enjoy. 

Inspired by the opening look from Ariana Grande's music video for God is a Woman (2018). 
To access my finished Lens, use Snapchat to scan the code below:




Here is an example of what the lens looks like on me, and I will admit it added some skin smoothing effects to the filter, as well as whitening of the teeth (not shown) and eyes. I took this photo in my pajamas, without makeup, at some point past midnight and I like to think that's not super apparent so if nothing else, this lens did some good in the world. 

If you're interested in learning/downloading the Snapchat Lens Studio click here
If you haven't seen the music video for God is a Woman click here
If you want to watch a completely unrelated video click here

Popular Posts