Eclectic Home Decor


I enjoy the "random" placement of the paintings over the art desk, in a collage format. The fish, moon, and tree watercolor paintings form a visual unity, which is disrupted by the circular mountain piece- set on a black backdrop. All four of these pieces are the same exact frame, and frame size, so they still establish a unified look somehow. The large mountain landscape painting is intentionally unframed because I didn't want the picture to take up any more space than it already did, in comparison to the others. I believe the environmental, nature theme remains consistent in this wall collage but I do enjoy the unpredictable nature of this series. Accompanied by a jar of paintbrushes, a jewelry box, and old-fashion parlor lamp, this cozy mantel scene is displayed above my art desk.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This refurbished shelving unit is actually my favorite part of the room. Previously used as an overstocked bookshelf, this wall was a heavy visual. The shelves bowed downwards at the weight of the books stacked on top and the previous maroon walls added somber tones. I immediately felt satisfied with the way this shelving unit popped once the walls were repainted this bright "Spanish olive" green. The vertical brackets were certainly a dated choice but I wasn't in the mindset to remove this wall element. While it wouldn't have been a particularly big job at all, I felt more inclined to make the best of the twin track shelving unit. 
After a deep cleaning of the tracks and detachable shelving boards I readjustment the height and alignment of the shelves to match my intentions for the unit. In this case, that meant spacing the shelves to a slightly larger divide. One of my first decisions was the cold framed picture of the black cat, which I felt inclined to hang between the shelves. This decision was what prompted the shelf spacing, as I felt it was important to accommodate this photo. A series of my favorite biographies and novels topped the shelves, along with sentimental trinkets that gave me the joy to see every day. This included my handbell, dried roses, old barbie doll, and atomizers. My favorite pieces from this arrangement are the rustic dream catcher, the golden dinosaur, and the pink old-fashion alarm clock. The alarm clock was a $3 purchase from a local Goodwill and I have never once made an attempt to get it working. I find it very unique, quirky, and cute- and something commonly overlooked until it's placed in the right environment where it can become a statement piece. The rustic dream catcher was handmade for me by my longtime significant other, and it is constructed out of real antlers, real feathers, and fishing line. The golden dinosaur was also a Goodwill find and I believe it was a planter in a past life. The dinosaur is almost entirely hollow meaning the dirt would fill the tail and feet of the creature if you tried to put a plant inside- so I personally think it would make an awful planter, but a really incredible statement piece for my shelf. I enjoy the intentional manner of this corner, and the way it just SCREAMS to be explained. Without understanding, one may start to wonder why Dr. Phil self-help books occupy the same space as broken alarm clocks and one armed Barbie dolls. Although, I can't guarantee my explanation will offer much sollace. Possibly just more questions. 

Popular Posts